Coming Attractions: The Watts-Midtown Library!
Named in honor of the enduring support shown to the library by Eudell Watts, III, and his late mother, Lorene Evans Watts, the Watts-Midtown Branch will occupy a portion of the Two Rivers YMCA facility on 30th Street, Rock Island.
Did you see the news stories about our name announcement? If not, read more about it here:
Quad City Times, June 20, 2022
Quad Cities.com, June 13, 2022
Our Quad Cities (WHBF), June 10, 2022
When complete, the branch will offer highly-accessible library services and resources in a centrally-located neighborhood. Future amenities include:
- Modest collection for convenient borrowing
- Meeting and study group spaces
- Teen area and resources, for convenient access by students in nearby schools
- Upgraded technology for digital accessibility
- Community Room for hosting larger programs
- Extended parking and easy access
- Outdoor access for programs and reading
More stories about this project:
WVIK Quad Cities NPR, May 10, 2022
Our Quad Cities article (WHBF), May 10, 2022
Dispatch/Argus/Quad City Times, May 10, 2022
Other than cosmetic upgrades and ongoing maintenance, the Rock Island Downtown and Southwest Libraries remain unchanged and in place.
Currently, the "soft-opening" date for this additional branch is projected for late January 2023. Watch this page for updates.