Coming Attractions: The Watts-Midtown Library!
Named in honor of the enduring support shown to the library by Eudell Watts, III, and his late mother, Lorene Evans Watts, the Watts-Midtown Branch will occupy a portion of the Two Rivers YMCA facility on 30th Street, Rock Island.
Did you see the news stories about our name announcement? If not, read more about it here:
Quad City Times, June 20, 2022
Quad Cities.com, June 13, 2022
Our Quad Cities (WHBF), June 10, 2022
When complete, the branch will offer highly-accessible library services and resources in a centrally-located neighborhood. Future amenities include:
- Modest collection for convenient borrowing
- Meeting and study group spaces
- Teen area and resources, for convenient access by students in nearby schools
- Upgraded technology for digital accessibility
- Community Room for hosting larger programs
- Extended parking and easy access
- Outdoor access for programs and reading
More stories about this project:
WVIK Quad Cities NPR, May 10, 2022
Our Quad Cities article (WHBF), May 10, 2022
Dispatch/Argus/Quad City Times, May 10, 2022
Other than cosmetic upgrades and ongoing maintenance, the Rock Island Downtown and Southwest Libraries remain unchanged and in place.
Barring delays for supply chain or construction issues, late 2022 is the planned opening date. Watch this page for updates.