Make a difference as a long-term member of PALS! Short for People Advocating for Library Services, PALS is a volunteer organization formed under the Rock Island Public Library Foundation.
A PALS membership is a long-term way to advocate for the value of the library, and to provide sustaining support for fine-free lending, special programs, and events at RIPL. PALS dues and fundraising efforts are managed by the Rock Island Public Library Foundation, a 501c3 charitable organization. Donations are tax-deductible to the extent allowed by law. (Please check with your advisor for details.)
Please see below for more details about PALS membership, and its perks!
Volunteer Policy and Application
PALS volunteers are invited to bring their talents and interests to a number of ongoing efforts, including:
- Advocacy Team - Speaking up for the value of the library in the community
- Beautification Team - Gardening, sprucing up library locations
- Fundraising Team - Book sales, planning Foundation fundraisers, eBay book sale support
- Library Attendant/Greeter - Welcoming people to library facilities; directing them to areas of need
- Programming Support—Helping at large library programs & events
- Sustaining Member—Can't volunteer? Support the cause with a sustaining donation
Youth, Individual, and Family memberships come with a personalized donor membership card and sticker, the first opportunity to learn of advocacy campaigns and volunteer projects; BOGO offers at book sales; and recognition on an annual PALS donor display.
Sponsors receive the same benefits as Youth, Individual, and Family memberships, as well as a special bookplate to be placed in a bestselling item added to the library’s collection.
Benefactors receive the same benefits as Youth, Individual, Family and Sponsors, in addition to 2 tickets and reserved seating at the annual Food for Thought fundraiser.
Corporate members receive special recognition in library email blasts (reach of 12,000+), reserved seating at the annual Food for Thought fundraiser for up to 8 attendees, and will be named as an annual corporate member on publicity throughout the year.
Money raised from PALS membership fees and fundraising initiatives will support Fine Free Lending, library programs, and special events.
Choose the annual membership option that works for you!
- Youth (18 & under): $10
- Individual membership: $20
- Family membership:$30
Sustaining Annual Support Levels
- Sponsor: $100
- Benefactor: $500
- Corporate: $1,000
To get started, fill out the PALS membership form.
To get started, fill out the People Advocating for Library Services membership form.
People Advocating for Library Service (PALS) membership form.
If you plan to volunteer at library facilities, you'll also want to review our volunteer policy, and fill out the volunteer application/waiver. These guidelines apply to all volunteers at library facilities. If you joining as a sustaining member only (not volunteering,) the PALS member form alone will suffice.
You may pay your membership with cash or check (written to Rock Island Public Library Foundation or RIPLF). If you choose to pay online, you can do that through the Donate link on this website. PALS memberships go directly to the Library Foundation, and are considered a donation. Donations are tax-deductible to the extent allowed by law.
To donate online:
- Choose "DONATE" on the library's website; then the "DONATE ONLINE THROUGH THE FOUNDATION" link (red bar) in the middle of the page.
- Choose "OTHER" for a donation amount, and fill in the membership amount;
- In the "NOTES" area of the online form, put "PALS," then click "NEXT."
- Folllow other instructionsto complete your membership.
Online donations through the website are processed through a secure payment site.
One-time or short-term volunteer opportunities may be available through the library. These short-term arrangements are separate from the PALS group. Contact our Buildings and Facilities director.
Volunteers may be needed for events connected to our 150th anniverary. Contact Library Public Relations.